One of the gals at work mentioned that my jobshare partner had a recipe for the yummiest salad ever that had quinoa and pineapple. Since that sounded a bit odd but interesting, I decided that I had to get the recipe. She was kind enough to share it with me. I make a few minor changes, but it was REALLY good. When the Hubs asked what was for dinner and saw the salad you would think that his team lost the Superbowl. Geez. When he tasted it however he repeated no less than four times, “this is really good!”. Sigh. The Kid ate it too. Win, win.
Anyways, I think this is the type of salad you can take pretty huge liberties with. Sub in and out whatever fruit, veggie or add-in that turns your crank. As we were eating I was thinking maybe diced mango, maybe pom seeds, served on a bed of spinach. You get the idea. either way, add this bad boy into your rotation!!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 ½ cups frozen edamame, thawed in a bowl of super hot water (change the water once or twice)
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups cooked quinoa(I used half quinoa and half brown rice because I didn’t have enough quinoa, OOPS!)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced small
- 3/4 cup diced pineapple
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (I used apple cider because that’s all I had)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO or avocado oil ( I used avocado but might use the EVOO next time for a bit of flavour depth)
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (I think I will leave this out next time as the salad was sweet enough)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of kosher or sea salt (or to taste)
Here’s what you do:
- In a large bowl combine edamame, cabbage, quinoa, diced pepper, pineapple, raisins and almond.
- In a small bowl combine vinegar, oil, coconut sugar, chili powder, garlic and salt. Toss with quinoa mixture and serve either chilled or at room temperature.
- Eat! Enjoy! Yum.