We haha few manky looking bananas hanging around (haha, get it hanging?? okay sorry, been a long day) and I knew it was a banana bread kinda day. I always buy too many bananas so that I can make bread, muffins, smoothies, the list goes on. I saw a few recipes that looked pretty good, but I saw one that called for oat flour and it caught my eye since the oats I have are gluten free and that would make the loaf vegan and gluten free. Double bonus. This recipe looked the best and I decided to give it a go. OMG. Best banana bread EVER. EVER. Epic. Wow. It was fully of vegan mini chocolate chips, that probably didn’t hurt either…..
Please make this!!! I was also a bit skeptical about the peanut butter but it was a ever so slight hint of PB flavour but moist moist moist. I could have eaten the whole loaf. Hopefully there will be a bit left tomorrow for the Hubs to try. The Kid went to town on it too. 50/50 that he will get any. Sorry babe. Sucks to go out of town on baking days.
Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
2½ cups oatmeal (make sure they are certified gluten free if you have a gluten intolerance)
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3 bananas if they are small, 2 very large bananas)
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup coconut sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
non-dairy milk or water (if necessary, I did not need any)
1½ cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly oil a loaf pan and set aside.
- Put oatmeal in a blender or food processor and pulse to a fine crumb.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the chocolate chips to the blender and blend until combined. You may need to scrape down the sides and then blend again to get completely combined. (it will not be completely smooth. The oatmeal will give it a grainyness and it will be very thick! Much thicker than a traditional banana bread)
- If the batter is very crumbly add a few TBSP of water or non-dairy milk to the mixture. You want the batter to be very thick but it should still hold together.
- Fold in 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Top with remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips and banana slices if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.