So the Hubs is still kinda sorta trying to follow South Beach (emphasis on the kinda sorta) so my BFF sent me this recipe for vegan GF paleo cookies. While I generally think diets are stupid, I REALLY think the paleo diet is ridiculous. I mean come on. Eat like a caveman. Pfft. Nonsense. Alas, this recipe was actually pretty awesome. The cookies were light, sweet and yummy. The Hubs didn’t like the (VERY SLIGHT) hint of the coconut from the coconut oil (yeesh) but the Kid LOVED them and my friend who happened to be over for dinner and also tires to avoid processed carbs was ALL over them. I will make these again for sure. Might add some apple sauce and use earth balance next time just to moisten them up a bit and to make the Hubs happy. But the bottom line is I will definitely make them again!
Here’s what you do:
- 2 cups almond meal, or almond flour (I bought Bob’s almond flour because as I have firmly established I am very lazy)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, softened
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (I used enjoy life mini chocolate chips because I like them best)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond meal, salt, and baking soda, then add the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, then drop batter by rounded tablespoons onto a baking sheet lined with a Silpat, or parchment paper.
- Bake at 350F for 8-9 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then serve warm or allow to cool to room temperature.