The Hubs loves his risotto. Cheese? Good. Rice? Good. He is not a complicated man. Luckily this little gem caught my eye and I knew that I could kill this. And I did. It was SO good. Now the recipe was just okay. It was missing info and the amounts of the broth were wayyy off. Now that could have just been me, but I am going to give you more detailed instructions in case you are a risotto virgin like myself. I also added edammame because, well, why not! Plus a little kick of added protein never hurt anybody. I also used chickpea flour and my version is also gluten free. Woo woo.
My Vegan Spring Risotto
1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 C. White Onion, Diced
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1¼ C. Asparagus Tips and Middles, Chopped
1¼ C. Portabella Mushrooms, Chopped
2½ Tbsp. Fresh Curled Parsley, Minced (I forgot this….oops)
1 Tbsp. Chickpea Flour
1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
½ tsp. Lemon Zest
1½ C. Non-Dairy Milk (I used unflavoured almond milk)
1 C. Arborio Rice (risotto rice)
4 C. Vegetable Broth
1/2 C Frozen Edammae
Salt to Taste
⅛ tsp. Black Pepper
⅛ tsp. White Pepper
- Heat oil in a large rimmed pan over medium heat and add the onions and saute until they turn slightly clear (approx. 3-4 mins.)
- Next, add in the garlic and saute for an additional minute over medium heat. Then place the asparagus and mushrooms into the pan with approximately half a cup of your stock and warm it for 3-5 minutes or until the mushrooms have reduced in size.
- Stir in the parsley and flour until there are no dry chunks in the pan.
- Pour the lemon juice, lemon zest, non-dairy milk and rice into the pan and bring to a boil.
- Place the rest of your stock in a pot and heat until it is just before boiling.
- Cook and stir until almost all of the liquid is gone, then gradually add in the rest of the vegetable broth, a cup at a time until the rice has soaked up most of it. This will take roughly 18-20 minutes and you may need to add more vegetable broth/water. YOU NEED TO REDUCE THE TEMP that you are cooking at so that your dish doesn’t burn. I had to play with it, but you can go with medium to the high side of medium as a general rule of thumb.
- Add the edammame with your last half cup of broth. Just needs to warm through.
- Add the pepper, salt and white pepper to taste, serve warm.