The Hubs is a HUGE sports fan. HUGE. Baseball, hockey, football. You name it, he pretty much has a team and watches all the freaking time. ALL…THE….TIME.
So needless to say we hosted a few friends over for the Superbowl. I found this cute looking dish online and thought, ya. I can SO veganize that bad boy. And let me tell you, it was pretty amazing. I was hoping to serve it with apple slices as well but I was so tired by the time dessert came out, I just couldn’t be asked.
Please note that we even have a NFL massive chip bowl. HUGE fan….
Just use a stand mixer and it does all the work for you! Try other dippers too!! Apple slices, graham crackers, animal crackers, the sky’s the limit! The Hubs said the marshmallow laces really made the dish. Next time I will add a layer of marshmallow fluff or maybe melt some right in. I might also try cashew butter next time for a less heavy peanut butter flavour. You can also add the chocolate chips into the dip and cover it with sprinkles etc. Be creative! The original recipe isn’t vegan, so here’s my version:
- ¼ cup vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance), softened
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened (I used Tofutti)
- 1 cup peanut butter (your choice; crunchy or smooth)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups vegan powdered sugar (up to 2 cups if needed)
- ½ cup vegan mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Brand)
- Chocolate sprinkles or chocolate chips for the outside of the football (TOTALLY OPTIONAL)
- Vegan marshmallows cut into strips for the football laces (I used Dandies)
Cream margarine, cream cheese, and peanut butter until mixed (using a stand mixer). Add in vanilla. Mix some more.
Add powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, and mix until combined. (If you want a stiffer mixture, add the extra ½ cup of powdered sugar.) Mix in chocolate chips or save them for the exterior.
Place the mixture into a very shallow bowl or serving dish. Use your hands to form into a football shape. (This would also be cute as “lips” for Valentine’s Day! or a happy face? or …..?)
Cover in sprinkles or chocolate chips if you’re into that type of thing, pressing them into the surface a little so they stick. Add laces and chill until ready to serve.